Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Opposite of Alexa Chung and Kate Moss



When I was 16, I eagerly attended my first music festival, welly boots and navy rain jacket in toe. Back then, music festivals were not popular with the masses. You could wait a week before the festival to buy your ticket and more importantly, it did not matter what you wore.

Eight, long years have passed since those blissful days and how things have changed. Tickets have tripled in price and sell out so quickly, the line up has not even been announced. In addition to this stress, we are expected to get the "festival look" championed by none other than Topshop. Constituting Hunter Wellies, a Barbour jacket and denim cut offs, this look was made popular by Kate Moss and Alexa Chung. Forget about battling the elements, rain and mud, we have to look fashionable too, without a VIP area, rock star boyfriend or shower for three days. Shops in Britain are now dedicated to selling clothes and wellies purely for festivals whilst magazines hunt for the best dressed festival goers. Scared of judgment, my friends and I have carefully planned our outfits for each day of a festival without considering the weather. Consequently, we have frozen or got very bad tan lines. I admit this ashamedly.

So, last Sunday, wearing obligatory denim shorts and Ray Bans, I went to a free rock festival in Seoul. Like the magazines, I hoped to find some unusual style. However, I was surprised to find no carefully, executed fashion, only grannies, grandpas, families and spotty teenagers. People were only there to enjoy the music, not to look cool. Although I was slightly disappointed I didn't get photographs for my blog, it was very refreshing and reminiscent of my young, festival days. Maybe Alexa and co at Glastonbury could learn a thing or two from Korea.

(Photo taken by me)

No comments: