Thursday, August 5, 2010

Caped Crusaders

When it comes to weather, I am never content. In winter, with its freezing temperatures and consequently, my frostbitten feet, I longed for warmth, sunny days and floral dresses. Red noses and pale skin no more. Now, we are in the midst of summer and, unfortunately, it is not as I expected. Instead of having beautiful bronzed skin and wearing an array of pretty summer dresses, I am literally a mess. And, a sweaty one at that with a flushed face and hair that can can only be described as frizzy and chaotic. I am tired of wearing flimsy clothes, constantly worried I am showing too much flesh. I am a responsible teacher after all.

The seasons are so extreme here that I wish for Scottish weather. At home, summer constitutes one or two hot days, average temperatures, no humidity and drinking in the park until it starts raining. Although, my fond recollections are better than the reality in Scotland of no summer at all.

So, to distract myself from the 91% humidity outside, I have been looking forward to one of the major trends of winter, capes. Think military officers, Russian Czars or 1940s fur stoles as opposed to superheros. From short capelets to long 60s style ponchos, capes were awash on the catwalks in gothic leather, luxe velvet and camel tones. There are many styles to choose from- military, hooded, embroidered or preppy. Lets have a look.


Julien MacDonald

Sallavatore Ferragamo

Christian Dior

Chanel








The final picture is a beautiful embroidered cape from Alexander McQueen's last collection. So, capes are one of the definitive winter pieces. However, there are certain hazards to wearing capes, as Edna from The Incredibles shows.....perhaps avoid wearing on planes....

So, investing in a cape is not the best idea if you want to become a superhero. As for me, there is only three months until freezing temperatures, red noses and wishing for summer again.... but at least I can wear a cape.

No comments: